Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Day I was born

I was born in July in Biddeford, Maine. It was the tail end of the depression and my dad didn't have a job. Dad , Mom and her brothers went to Maine from Vermont to get work at a machine shop in Saco Lowell, Maine. They were there for six weeks before I was born. Dad didn't have anough money to pay for my $40.00 home delivery. He gave the doctor what he could which as he tells it was $20.00 and told him he would give him the rest later in the month. Well , Dad didnt pay it, as a macine shop opened up with work back in their home town of Vermont so they all packed up and left Maine.

We use to go back to Maine for vacations and the year I was sixteen, Dad decided to look up the doctor that had delivered me. We found him on a remote back road in Biddeford.

We went up to the doctors door and my dad said to him, you probably don't remember me but you delivered my daughter here sixteen years ago and I still owed you $20.00. Dad opened his wallet and gave the doctor the $20.00 and said, Now she is all mine and all payed for.

I learned a big lesson that day on paying people what you owed them and also a whole new respect for my dad. I've loved that story for years and have told it often. Thanks dad for letting me share that day with you. I'll never forget the look on that doctors face. Of course , he didn't remember. I'll always remember how proud my dad looked that day to finally know I was all bought and paid for.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard this story before. I like it. Good story, I want to hear more like these, thanks mom.

    ReplyDelete