Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The arrival of my Baby Sister

Sixteen months after I was born, my one and only little sibling arrived. I guess I wasn't too pleased about it.
This is the story they told me. Thanks for nothing, Mom and Dad. ha ha

She was born at home, as were most deliveries then. By now Dad is working in Vermont. Well he wasn't going to have to go in debt for this birth as my grandmother was a mid-wife and she brought the baby into the world. Dad brought me in to see the baby and these are his words.
"Look what mommy has, a new baby and you've lost your crib." I have no idea what I thought but I know what I was told I did.
Did wasn't too thrilled over the birth as he wanted a son. I guess he took off for a couple of days and left us. Mom wasn't too pleased either and vowed she would never go through that again. And she didn't. (Good for you Mom)

They say I hit the baby over the head with my bottle (yeah, she didn't my bottle) and knocked her out cold. Mom thought I had killed her so covered her up with a sheet and took me to her rocking chair and told me, "Don't worry I won't let anyone know you killed your sister, I will say it was an accident." I wonder what my little sixteen month old mind was thinking. ohhhhhh!
It wasn't long before we heard a solf cry and lo and behold my little sister was alive.

I don't know why they ever told me that story but from then on, my sister will tell you, I was over protective of her. I "injured" a lot of little friends that hurt her. To this day she will attest to the fact that she has always been my other child.

What a blessing and joy she has been to me for many years. When she hurts I hurt, when she's sad, I'm sad. I thank God that I wasn't able to swing that bottle to hard. I don't like this little story but it is a part of my life. "I love you baby sister."

2 comments:

  1. There wasn't a sin too great that grammy didn't think she could hide it somehow. She carried way too many burdens through life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that story always bothered me. Why do parents think they have to tell you things like that. I'm sure I was to young to know what I was doing but still its not a nice story.

    ReplyDelete